But as for me, I will always have hope...Psalm 71:14

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My June issue of Southern Living came two days ago...
and it got my Summer Recipe juices flowing.  I admit, I had to purchase a couple of things that weren't in my pantry.  I REALLY wanted some scallops and tabbouleh, so I caved in and bought them...and it was worth it!
















Then I decided to tackle a couple of recipes that won the summer cook-off contest, but I wanted to use what I had in the pantry.  So I'm going to share the original recipe straight from Southern Living and then my version.  





Grandma Gwen's BeansPhoto by: Photo: Jennifer Davick; Prop Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham

Grandma Gwen's Beans

2012 Side Dish Smackdown Winner: Best Baked Beans
Southern Living JUNE 2012
  • Yield: Makes 10 servings
  • Hands-on:45 Minutes
  • Total:2 Hours, 5 Minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 (1-lb.) package bacon slices
  • 4 medium-size yellow onions, sliced
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 (16-oz.) cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15-oz.) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (16-oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (28-oz.) can baked beans

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bacon, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving desired amount of drippings in skillet. (We reserved about 3 Tbsp.) Crumble bacon.
2. Sauté onions in hot drippings over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Add brown sugar and next 4 ingredients. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Combine butter beans, next 3 ingredients, bacon, and onion mixture in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.


Now here's mine

Confetti Baked Beans

8 strips turkey bacon
1 T olive oil
2 c frozen onion and pepper blend
1/c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1 t salt
1 t dry mustard
1 T minced garlic
2 c large white lima beans, cooked
1 c kidney beans, cooked
1 1/2 c frozen corn and lima bean succotash
1 regular can "cheap" pork and beans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Cook bacon .  Remove from pan and chop .  Add olive oil to pan and then the onion/pepper blend.  Cook until the vegetables are tender.  Add brown sugar and next four ingredients.  Cover and cook 20 minutes.  Combine beans, bacon and onion mixture in a 13 X 9 baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 

They are delicious!  
Tomorrow I will share a great recipe for a sweet and spicy melon salad!


Life is short!  Pray hard!
I pray that out of His glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  Ephesians 3:16-17, NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment